Friday, February 15, 2008

Spinning Around

Goal for 2008: Find spinning friends. Check! Today Common Threads launched the addition of spinning wheels and spinning supplies by hosting a little spin in. I dropped the kids off at nana's house and was down there shortly after they opened to join in the fun. I had a great time!
I was very excited to hear that Common Threads is carrying the Louet Victoria wheels, because of course that means they'll have supplies (like bobbins) for mine. When I first showed up I took in all of the beautiful fibers they had displayed around. I saw this really pretty merino & tencel roving that was hand-dyed by a local dyer named Natasha. She was really nice and after talking to her for a little while I found out that she is also a bellydancer. I was very happy to find a spinner and a bellydancer all in one person! I sat and spun with her, and her partner in fiber Geri, for a couple of hours and made this.
While we were sitting in the front of the store, there was another group in the back room also spinning. It was Lori and her spinning group from Orange County. I had met Lori when I went to Cat Bordhi's sock class and was inspired by the beautiful yarns she had brought with her to knit. She had told me that she had a fiber arts studio named Capistrano Fiber Arts and that she teaches and sells fibers. I was able to spend a little time today with her and her friends before I had to leave and it was decided that we would try to meet at least once a month at Common Threads to spin together. I'm not sure exactly when the first meetup is, but it will most likely be on a Friday. They said that Friday was a good day for them to drive down in the morning around 10 am, and they would leave around 3 pm to beat the traffic home. So Nancy (the nice owner of Common Threads) is going to reserve the back room for everyone and we'll get to spin together. Woohoo!

Time sure flew by for me today. It was 3 pm before I knew it and time for me to leave. What a fun day!

No comments: