Thursday, January 10, 2008

New Knowledge

I had a wonderful time meeting Cat Bordhi and knitting with my friends all day on Tuesday.

Cat started the class by giving us a practice sock for one of her architectures and we all got started on it right away. While we were knitting she talked to us about how to measure the foot and get accurate gauge measurements. All of this information was something I had gone over and understood in her book so I just focused on making my sock. I decided to try to make socks for son #2 because all previous attempts have failed. His feet are just so much bigger than I think they are. So I was able to make a pair that I thought would be big on him so that he could grow into them a little bit. If I had known we were going to do another practice sock, I would've measured. But I didn't really know what we were going to do, since our homework was making both of the practice socks in the book before class.
I made these, and they do fit. He has decided that he does not like them and won't even let me put them on his feet for a picture. Which is such a shame because they are so cute on the feet. But the wool is really warm and scratchy so I guess it's too much for his feet. Son #1 has requested a pair of socks, so I think I'm going to make some using the Coriolis architecture for him.

It was helpful to have Cat commenting on the sock architecture while we were actually working on the sock. I learned about the math of a rounds per inch gauge and how long your sock will end up. It was fun to learn a better way to measure the sock length.


One of the other patterns she gave us to work one was a miniature bowl with two heel turns for the bottom. I decided to knit mine up a little further and make a little sack for my stitch markers.

At the end of the class Cat held up all of her socks and talked about the sock architecture of each one. This was my favorite part. She also talked a lot about design and how to make modifications to design your own sock. It was very encouraging and I feel like I might be ready to make that leap into the sock world.

I guess one of the things that came out of this class for me was that I know more about socks than I thought I did. I felt like I still had so much to learn about the socks, but I understood most everything she was talking about very easily. I understand how and why her architectures work and I feel confident that I could take them and make something my own. I am very excited to see her next books in the series.

No comments: