Saturday, December 22, 2007

Mini Wire Sweater

I don't know why the idea of knitting with wire and beads fascinates me so much, other than the finished project looks so cool. It kind of hurts my hands and dents up my needles. But it just looks so cool, that I had to try making a little sweater pin to attach to my knitting bag. I've also given one away as a gift.


Name of Project: Mini Wire Sweater
Materials: Sterling Silver Wire and Freshwater Pearls
Needles: Size US 1 straight metal needles
Estimated Time to Complete Project: 1 hour
Pattern: I improvised this pattern as I went, just watching what looked the best and manipulating the wire with my hands.

To Cast-On:
I started with a slipknot on my needle. I pushed up a pearl, then using the backward loop method, cast-on another stitch. I repeated this until I had 7 pearls and 8 stitches on the needle.

The Body is worked in Stockinette:
Rows 1,3,5,7: Purl (WS)
Rows 2,4,6,8: Knit
Then without turning, using the backward loop method, cast-on 4 stitches
Turn, push up a pearl, and purl across. Cast on 4 more stitches.
*Turn, push up a pearl, and knit across. Turn, push up a pearl, and purl across. Repeat once more from *.
Turn, push up a pearl, Bind of 4 stitches.
*Bring wire to front as if to purl, push up pearl, purl next stitch, pass 1st stitch over to bind-off. Repeat from * 6 times. You'll have 7 pearls across the neckline. Bind off 4 remaining stitches. Cut and wind end of wire through to secure ends and use fingers to shape body, sleeves and neckline.

I used a coil-less safety pin to attach the pin, but you could also use a corsage or skirt pin.

No comments: