Monday, January 22, 2007

The Lucy Project

I've decided to expand upon my knowledge of sock knitting and give myself some training. It will be called "The Lucy Project". I have the book "Cool Socks Warm Feet" by Lucy Neatby with all the different techniques and ways to make socks (all of which I don't know now). I'm going to go through and try all of the techniques and make each project. There are only six but it's all new so I know it'll take awhile. I've seen that there are two companion DVDs for the sock techniques that are available from Lucy Neatby on her website. I plan to go to my LYS and see if they have them before buying them online. I want to see how far I can get on my own, but I'm thinking it will go faster having the visual of the techniques right in front of me.

Right now, I'm in the yarn acquisition phase of the project. I've ordered Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock in colorways Lemongrass, Rhodonite, and Thistle. I already have Chapman Springs and that's what I'm using to start the first pair of socks. By the end of 2007 (hopefully it won't take that long) I will be known as:
Khalila
Master Sock Knitter
The Six Assignments will be as follows - I will knit the miniature version of each sock first and then complete the pair for each pattern. I will post my progress for each assignment and hopefully it will keep me motivated to keep learning the skills I might be having difficulty with. My tenative timeline is one month per assignment.
Assignment 1: Simply Splendid Socks
Assignment 2: Timberline Toes
Assignment 3: Crenellated Toe-Up Socks
Assignment 4: Marietta Rib Socks
Assignment 5: Chequerboard Socks
Assignment 6: Mermaid Socks

No comments: