Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Giselle

It's taken me awhile to post about this sweater for a couple of reasons. It didn't live up to my expectations as a finished object and therefore I was not satisfied with the pictures I was getting of it. These were the best ones after several attempts at photographing it.


Name of Project: Giselle by Marnie MacLean
Yarn: Tilli Tomas Plie and Tilli Tomas Voile de la Mer from Dreamweaveryarn.com
Needles: Size US 7 (4.5 mm) Knit Picks Interchangeables
Estimated Time to Complete Project: 2 months

A few things I would like to say about this pattern. I loved the thought of it. It looks so renaissance and drapey and beautiful. I was a little disappointed with the end product because of a few things.

The yarn called for in this pattern is silk. It had absolutely no structure when I took it off the blocking board. I had to reinforce the entire neckline and waist-join for it to not fall off of me. I slip stitched with a smaller crochet hook to reinforce. I wish I had thought to take a picture of the before.

I took the yarn into consideration when starting this project, and I made the small. I am not a small woman. I’m 38 inches give or take with a DD cup. I should not technically fit in a small. I know wrap sweaters are VERY forgiving in fit so it’s a little hard to gauge. I feel like the gauge should have been tighter for this yarn to hold shape and size better. The loose knit gauge just added to the unstructured nature of the yarn.

The other part that I had a hard time figuring out was how to tie it in the back without the side front gaping open. I searched and searched for a picture of the back that could show me how people had done it, but was unable to find a satisfactory fix. I ended up weaving the ties in and out of the crochet joins.

About the pictures of me - I’m wearing a corset under the sweater. It was the only thing that would hold the sweater up on my body.

In other news, my lace shawl is still progressing. I am loving working on it, but am having a hard time finding the time and places appropriate to work on it. I'm carrying the Queen of Beads socks around in my purse and am working down the foot towards the toe. They are very close to being finished. I was hoping I would get them done before the next shipment came, but no luck. Which is a shame, because I wanted to start these right when they came.

Rogue Roses by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. Oh Yarn Harlot, how I love thee. This colorway is called Gertrude Skein.

I think I'm so lucky that I have so many cool projects to knit. It's a constant source of happiness and entertainment.

No comments: