Friday, July 25, 2008

Butterflies 'N Bees & Bakugans

Name of Project: Butterflies n Bees from the Six Sox Knitalong
Yarn: Chameleon Colorworks Twinkle Toes, Colorway: Polar
Needles: Size US 0 (2.0 mm) Knit Picks circulars
Estimated Time to Complete Project: 2.5 months
Pattern Notes: I kept reading that this pattern was coming out very loose for a lot of people so I decided to change it up. I used the Magic Cast-on and put 9 stitches on each needle and increased up to 62 stitches. I put 37 stitches on one needle for the instep (I used the 12-stitch pattern repeat three times for the top, adding the extra purl stitch at the end) and 25 stitches on the sole needle. After working the lace pattern 8 times, I made a short-row heel over 37 stitches, shifting the stitches from each side as needed. I decrease down to 9 stitches and then back up to the original 37. I then worked one full repeat of the lace around the leg. I felt like it would be better if it was a little looser around the leg, so I added 2 extra purl stitches between each lace repeat. I worked 4 more repeats of the Bees wings lace, then worked the Butterfly pattern. I bound off using the picot bind off.

So, I'm in love with these socks. First of all, I am completely drawn to anything with Butterflies on it. I'm not really sure where the obsession comes from, but pretty much anything I see with butterflies on it, I'm going to love. Second, the yarn complements this lace pattern perfectly and they fit really nicely. It took me a long time to make these because I really had to concentrate to work the lace. It didn't come easily, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

This other project arouse from a bunch of Bakugans under my feet, with no where to put them. Bakugans are little plastic balls that open up when they roll over the magnetic cards that come with them. They are all the rage with most little boys I know. This bag can hold 6 Bakugans, 6 Bakugan Cards, and a Launcher.

Name of Project: Bakugan Battle Bag
Yarn: 1 hank, Noro Daria Multi
Needles: Size US 4 Knit Picks circulars
Estimated Time to Complete Project: 1 week
Pattern Notes: Using Judy’s Magic Cast-on, Cast-on 20 stitches on each needle. Working in the round, continue in Stockinette stitch until bag measures 7.5 inches. Cast off 20 stitches on one side and work across stitches on other side. Turn work, Decrease 1 stitch at the beginning of each row. Work back and forth until 8 stitches remain on needle. Bind-off. Sew on snap button. Using remaining yarn and braid three strands together. Sew on to bag.

I needed to make two of these because Son #2 didn't want to be left out of the fun. (Who does?) So the second bag is half-way finished and is the project I carry around in my purse for when I'm waiting in line.

And, one of the happy mail days that I have come to know and love...
The fourth shipment of the Socks That Rock club. I Love Sweet Tarts, and I love this yarn. I'm falling behind of my personal sock knitting because of the XRX sock contest entry I'm working on, but I'm hoping to cast-on something personal after I finish my son's socks for school. Something like the Gumdrop Socks. So yummy!

No comments: