Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Schools OUT!

Today was the last day of Kindergarten for Son #1. I am so excited to have him all to myself for the summer! To commemorate the occasion I made him a little knight made out of gold thread and trimmed with blue and silver.


Name of Project: Knight from Knit a Fantasy Story by Jan Messent
Yarn: Various crochet thread
Needles: Size US 0 (2.0 mm) Knit Picks dpns
Pattern Notes: I winged this a little bit, but the directions were pretty thorough. It's the first "doll" I've ever made so I wasn't sure how it was going to work out. I'm pretty pleased with the results, although the time it took to make all of the little pieces was a little much.

When my son first saw the book, he loved all of the pictures and specifically asked me to make this for him. I didn't let him know I was working on it so it would be a surprise. I gave it to him today when I picked him up and the reaction was a little...little. He said, "Where's the horse?" Yeah, I guess the complete set would have been cooler. But these little things seem to take longer than they look. I think he was pleased though.

In the meantime, I was digging through one of my many boxes of yarn and saw that I had about 6 skeins of Patons Cotton Top in white. I've been wanting to make the Combo Corset-T from Knitty Gritty when I saw Annie Modesitt on the show. It looks very simple yet very cute, so I decided to try it. As usual I had to go down 2 needle sizes to get gauge, and I'm not sure how cotton works with this pattern, but I didn't have to buy the yarn. So if it doesn't work out, no big loss.
I'm about an inch away from doing the short row heel for the Butterflies N Bees socks. They are moving along quite nicely and I think they are absolutely adorable.
The next pair of socks I'm going to make are the Cleopatra's Stockings from the third Rockin' Sock Club shipment. I was so happy when I saw this yarn, it made me want to ball it up immediately and get started. You know it's going to be beautiful if just seeing the skein makes you happy.
Although, the STR yarn is actually a tie for my next sock project, with this yarn that my friend Wendy gave me to cheer me up after the bad month I had last month. It's Misti Alpaca sock yarn and is so soft. I've been carrying it around with me in my purse because it makes me smile when I see it. I've got to find the right pattern for this because just any pattern won't do.
I think my knitting mojo has returned. :)

2 comments:

Yarnhog said...

Congratulations to the little guy! My older son is getting promoted from 5th grade tomorrow. Just wait. It'll be about a week before yours is there, too.

Anonymous said...

Cute knight! I know what you mean with little reaction. Whenever I give my daughter things that I made there is usually very little excitment. Crazy kids!