Tuesday, January 29, 2008

My Fiber Frenzy

One of my goals for this year was to be more knowledgeable about my spinning and be able to have more control over the finished product. I wanted to know how to ply, and what to do with the yarn after I had plied it. This was the first dyed roving I had spun (pre-lesson).

On Tuesday, January 15, 2008, I met a wonderful woman named Lila Sturges from Country Spun Fibers. I've been wanting to get some pointers on my spinning and have been looking for other local spinners. CC from Thread, String and the rest of it had suggested I look Lila up to see if she was teaching and forwarded me her name and phone number. That was a couple of months ago and as one of my new years goals was to expand my knowledge of spinning, I decided to look her up. She was a wonderful woman, very encouraging and knowledgeable. I learned how to hold my tension while plying two singles together, how to wind off the yarn onto a niddy noddy, how to tie up the hank, and how to wash and hang it with a weight. I enjoyed her lesson and I bought a bunch of different kinds of fibers so I could try a couple of things.

Here are the new arrivals:

70% Merino, 30% Tussah Silk - Sandstone (8 oz)


Baby Alpaca Top - Silver Streak (4 oz)

Colonial Wool Top - Multi Color Navy (8 oz)

Colonial Wool Top - Dyed Black (4 oz) and Bamboo Top (2 oz)
I had bought and started spinning this Amethyst Merino Top before I had my lesson, and finished it after I had my lesson. I'm really glad I got to learn about plying before finishing this, I think it looks a lot better than it would have. I still need a lot of practice but feel I'm on the right road.
I'm getting so excited about my spinning projects that I had to buy this Sheep 2 Shoe kit. Since Socks that Rock are my favorite yarn, it would be so great if I could learn how to spin up something like it. So I'm anxiously awaiting shipment of my kit so I can learn the secrets.

No comments: