Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Social Network

I got the first Rockin' Sock Club shipment on Valentine's Day and now, 9 days later, I've got a new pair of socks. These are Social Network by Lucy Neatby.

CIMG2237

I've been a big fan of Ms. Neatby's work for a long time and these definitely held up her status of sock knitting goddess. I own her Sock Techniques I and II dvd's, that I used when I was first learning how to knit socks. They were invaluable to me as a beginner and I still like to watch them for a review. Her dvd's are by far the best video instruction I've seen, and I hope to have her whole collection some day.

What first caught my eye about this pattern was the cabled colorwork. I thought about how fun it would be to watch the colors as they traveled back and forth and decided that these were definitely for me. I learned how to cable without a cabling needle from Grumperina's website. With these socks, I found that holding the contrast color in my left hand and the main color in my right, was fastest for the cabling and I was able to zoom right along.

CIMG2240

They turned out very warm and cushy, and I feel like I'm walking around on pillows with them on. 

I'm thinking about ordering more yarn to make another pair, and maybe trying a different color combination. They were just so quick and the result so funky and cool that I don't think I can stop at just one pair!

No comments: